ISO 20000-1 Frequently Asked Questions and Answers
What is ISO20000?
ISO 20000 consists of multiple standards that are a series of documents that comprise guidance on how to implement a service management system, typically applied to IT services. The ISO 20000 series is comprised of the following most commonly used standards:
- ISO 20000-1:2011– Provides requirements for the management and delivery of services (typically associated with information technology) and works in harmony with Information Technology Infrastructure Library (ITIL) practices and aligns with ISO 9001 requirements.
- ISO 20000-1 provides guidance on the requirements of a service management system to organizations preparing for ISO 20000 certification.
- ISO 20000-2:2012 – Commonly referred to as a Code of Practice for service management systems. ISO 2000002 provides guidance on the application of service managements systems based on the requirements of ISO 20000-1:2011.
- ISO 20000-2 provides information to organizations and individuals on how to interpret the requirements of ISO 20000-1 along with suggestions on how to meet ISO 20000 requirements for ISO 20000 certification or ISO 20000 registration.
- ISO 20000-3:2009 – Provides guidance on scoping a service management system. ISO 20000-3 helps organizations understand if ISO 20000-1 is applicable to their circumstances and how to define the scope of their service management system.
How ISO 20000 relates to ITIL?
ITIL (Information Technology Infrastructure Library) is a set of descriptive best practices for IT services. ITIL is a certification, which can be received by an individual. An ISO 20000-1:2011 Standard is a set of auditable requirements that an organization must implement and demonstrate to receive certification. Both ITIL and ISO 20000-1:2011 focus on the management of a Service Management System (SMS). ITIL outlines best practices for a service lifecycle, which can be performed by an individual and provided to the environment (SMS) that demonstrates the requirements of ISO 20000-1:2011.
Why get ISO 20000 Certification?
An ISO 20000-1:2011 certification provides numerous benefits to an organization:
- Alignment of services and capabilities
- Integrated Service Management System and management functions
- Organizational focus on key processes of the Service Management System and strategic approach
- Distinguishing qualifier within the marketplace
Do you have more questions about ISO 20000-1?
We will contact you the moment we receive your information to discuss abut ISO 20000-1 and we will reply to any questions you may have.